- Tangata whenua are authorised by the Minister of Fisheries under s.23 of the Kaimoana Customary Fishing Regulations 1998 to manage and control the non-commercial harvest of seafood through a local committee.
- Mātaitai reserves are permanent, though the bylaws can change over time.
- No commercial fishing is allowed within the area (unless recommended by the committee)
- The kaitiaki can set bylaws to manage the fishing in the area.
- Both Maori and non-Maori may fish in mātaitai reserves.
The closure is effective from the 23rd March 2020 - until further notice.